Friday, February 7, 2014

"beyond class" activity gone wrong

Well, it was a normal day of getting ready to cheer on our Richard Bland Statesmen. However something was going to happen that Wednesday that no one could have seen coming. Our cheer coach Megan had asked us to show up to the game forty-five minutes early so we could learn new cheers and a new stunt. Naturally we start with the stunt; this particular stunt we call the "flip stunt" and it involves two girls going up into their own stunts while my stunt group is in between the two. Once we get into position the other two girls are required to pull me up and i perform a back flip. Now these two girls have never done this before so therefore they are quite nervous, which has me a little concerned. I reassure them though that everything will be okay and to just not let go of me. Things do not always go the way you plan. We all got into our positions and I go up but one girl lets go of my arm and my flip does not go all the way around, resulting in my face hitting the floor extremely hard. I was completely dazed and in shock. I did ask to do the stunt again and it hit perfectly! Sadly the damage had already be done. That night resulted in a trip to the emergency room and finding out I had a concussion. I still am feeling the effects and am no longer allowed to stunt until cleared by another doctor.

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! that has got to be extremely scary! I don't think I could ever be a cheerleader and do stunts like that! hopefully you feel better and never have to experience that again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy! I cheered for like a second in high school but I was a base. I could never think of being a flyer because I would constantly be scared that I would fall. I afraid of heights too, so that doesn't help. I can't imagine what you felt like through that first stunt but it shows a lot of determination that you got up and tried it again. I hope that you are better now and you can continue to cheer for RBC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand the injuries when it comes to cheer-leading. As a competitive cheerleader I have a great deal of injuries. Just the other day my flyer did a double down and hit me in my head. Which caused me to black out and hit the floor. I commend you on getting back up and wanting to try it again. Most flyers would be way to scared to attempt a stunt again that went terribly wrong the first time.

    ReplyDelete